Language proficiency is a pre-requisite to a successful university experience. GATEWAY was created to provide accessibility and affordability to the test taker and a trustworthy score universities can rely on for admissions purposes.
The GATEWAY test:
- Provides a more valid, reliable, and secure academic English assessment of the test taker’s ability to perform in the situations they will encounter on campus
- Reduces direct and incidental costs to test takers
- Increases accessibility and ease of use
- Lays the foundation for future testing innovations
- will provide thousands of scholarships and vouchers each year. Every student deserves the opportunity to succeed!
Become a Field Test Partner
Join our global research community to help shape the future of English language assessment!
Work with us to trial our exam questions – it’s completely free.
Why get involved?
- Real results – Receive an overall score and subscores, including Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening scores.
- Free online ESL – Give students three free months of English3’s online ESL resources. These are comprehensive materials from beginner to advanced.
- 50% off their next test – Test takers receive a discount code that can be used on the official GATEWAY test once it is released, or used on the E3PT, which is currently available.
- Stress-free practice – Give students practice taking online assessments without the pressure of taking a real exam.
- Total flexibility – Choose when you want to test and how often.
- Be part of something bigger – Contribute to the future of English language assessment!
Please note, this is a research activity and the results should not be used to place students, or as proof of proficiency. You can use the results to identify where students need more practice.
We anticipate an initial release in Spring 2022.
Within 24 hours or 5 business days, depending on the test option chosen.
Up to 2.5 hours. Plan on 10 minutes to complete the test setup and instruction portion.
$99 for most test takers.
An overall score and subscores for speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
The nature of acquiring a new language and the natural process of language atrophy require the interview score validity to expire after 2 years.
Access scores, interview videos, comments and other resources on your dashboard. This is provided as a free resource.
Administrators receive an email notification with the applicant score report as soon as it becomes available.
Student information system integration
Interview scores are automatically uploaded to applicant records in Terra Dotta and Sunapsis.
For an in-depth review of test security, click here.
For a test to be valid, it must be secure. As university customers attest, interview scores consistently reflect exchange visitor English ability once they arrive on campus. Critical elements of interview security include:
- Real-time free response to open-ended questions, simulating real-to-life conversation
- Facial recognition software ensuring test-taker identity
Remote proctoring and scoring by a certified human rater (1:1 proctor to test-taker ration)
Randomized questions from an extensive question bank
Innovative test item types used to benchmark ability across all responses